Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.legal
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Prospects of selling a house next door to a "reformed" spree killer?

richard wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:43:16 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

richard wrote:

Unless state law requires it, no real estate agent is required to
do a background check. In most states, it is illegal to deny an
ex-con housing based on this fact. Let alone a person on probation.

Huh? In my state, an ex-con cannot be a lawyer, schoolteacher,
accountant, become a barber, cosmetologist, surveyor, architect, get
a hazardous chemical endorsement for their driver's license, own an
exterminating company, nursery (either plant or kid), vote, become a
notary, sell securities, be a REALTOR(!), or drive a cab.

I'd be astonished to learn that ANY state outlaws discrimination
against a felon.

Which state would this be in?

The issue is housing. Not employment.

My state is Texas. Frankly, I'm distressed that my state even allows them to
marry, own property, or attend a church.

Discrimination is not, per se, illegal.

I recall when Peter Lawford and his wife tried to buy an apartment in New
York and the resident's committee turned down their application. When
pressed, the committee said: "He's an actor and she's a Democrat. We don't
allow either on the property."