Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NiMH cell charging

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

A very low (e.g. C/100 or so) charge rate seems to be safe,
I gather, but it's also rather ineffective for NiMH cells -- they
have a poor "charge acceptance" at low charge rates, and
most of the power just turns into heat.

Maha says roughly the same thing. The recommend charging at at least 0.3C,
though it's not clear whether the reason is to push the cell towards a
significant delta-V at full charge, or to charge more "efficiently". I'm
bothered by the temperature rise, and tend to charge at 0.2C, which (based
on many years using nicads), seems downright excessive!

I don't expect any rechargeably battery to hold its charge indefintely. I
have a big pile of them, and charge them as I need them.

I might add that 2500mAh NiMH cells pretty much mark the end of the alkaline
cell, except for "intermittent", low-drain applications, especially where
frequently swapping the cells would be incovenient (eg, remote controls).
Such cells can provide at least the same run-time as a throw-away alkaline.
And, yes, I've checked and confirmed this.

I second the recommendation for the MH-C9000. A very neat piece of kit.

I wish I'd one 20 years ago.