Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.legal
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Prospects of selling a house next door to a "reformed" spree killer?

wrote

Any realtors reading?

Let's say someone like Kip Kinkel - schizophrenic kid who killed his
parents and shot up his school about 10 years ago - got a commutation
of his sentence as some people think he should since they feel he was
a "victim" who didn't get the help he needed and was treated unfairly,
and was in the market to buy a house. They're convinced that with meds
and supervision he would probably have no problems living as a free man.

I assume realtors aren't going to turn down his money
so I imagine he'd find someone to sell him a house,

That assumes he has enough income to be able to buy one. Unlikely.

but even if they make an effort to conceal who the new neighbor is, I
imagine at some point word is going to get out that he lives in that house.

You've clearly got a vivid imagination.

Would you even be able to give away any of the
nearby houses once it became common knowledge?

Depends on the state of the market when that happens.

Or, if a realtor made efforts to conceal this fact when selling
a neighboring house, do the buyers have any recourse?

Nope.