Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism,sci.electronics.repair,rec.backcountry,rec.knives
y_p_w y_p_w is offline

Default Does anyone know a good LED pocket flashlight with decentbrightness

On Jun 17, 3:27 am, DaveT wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:38:39 -0700, wrote:
On Jun 13, 11:36 wrote:
Noticed their review states that they had better runtime on NiMH. Make
sense to some degree. Medium-drain devices tend to be very inefficient
at using alkaline capacity. Alkalines tend to last longer than NiMH
when the drain is really low, like with a low-power LED.

I was told that NiMH cells had a higher self-discharge rate and that
alkaline cells were better if you were not constantly charging them.

Use the (newish) NiMH batteries that come ready charged. I use Uniross
Hybrio, they do not self discharge like the normal ones, hold a charge a
heck of lot longer. They are also a bit cheaper If you do get some do
not bother to recharge any backup batteries when have to do a swap wait a
while that also helps.

I mentioned Sanyo Eneloop, although they resell their low self-
discharge batteries to other companies to re-brand.

Self-discharge is also heavily dependent on temperature, even with
alkalines. I've also had bad results with alkalines stored in hot
conditions. If they don't lose a good chunk of their capacity from
self-discharge, then they'll leak like crazy. The 85% claim is
probably at about 70 deg F. If you keep them warmer (imagine taking
your camera on summer camping trip), I think you'll find that self-
discharge is considerably faster.