Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Problem with furniture smell (formaldehyde), what to do?

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:47:33 -0400, h wrote:

I would buy a few cans of spray varnish at a big box hardware store
and spray everything in sight on the drawers except the fronts which
should already be finished. Then as soon as the spray varnish has
driec to handle, put the drawers outside in the sun to air and dry. 3
or 4 cans shouldd be plenty for one or two dressers. Total cost under
$25 so worth the effort.

While an excellent idea that will probably work, I wouldn't do this until
all other remedies have been exhausted. I would get the stuff tested, then
insist that the company take it back. Also, immediately contact your state's
Attorney General. Any valid complaint from a consumer with the words "cc:
Attorney General, State of XX" will strike fear into the heart of any
reputable business owner.

If you have no luck with the Consumer Protection Agency or the AG's office
or the company itself, then try the local news stations. Usually they have a
reporter who does consumer issue pieces, and if you play the pregnant
wife/dangerous fumes card, you could get a nice segment aired at 6 and 11.
Even just threatening the store with bad local press ("the segment is airing
next week") could get them to take it back.

The big problem is that it's been 8 months. I would have returned it after 2
days and voided the credit card sale. You DID use a credit card, right? If
so, contact your issuer and see if they can help. You're always ok within 6
months, but since you've been in contact with the store all along you might
be ok. Explain that they've been telling you the same BS for 8 months,
pregnant wife, yadda yadda, and maybe you'll get some play.

If all else fails, try the varnish route. Polyurethane works too.

We moved into a newly constructed office with sealed windows. I was
getting a headache everyday for 2-4 months and found out it was due to
the out gassing of formaldehyde. After 6 months, the out gassing
slowed down and it wasn't until then I stopped taking a daily aspirin.
If you can bring fresh air into the area for a few months, all the
better. New carpeting can be bad too.