Default New Electrical Regs - Again

PoP wrote:
On 6 Oct 2003 08:14:25 GMT, wrote:

In this sort of situation I really don't see how anyone will ever know
that a certificate should have been issued, and thus in most cases it
won't be.

In the event that the householder suffered casualty or death some time
after the work was carried out then there may be a paper trail of an
invoice and/or sales receipt generated from the work undertaken. That
will lead Plod to your front door sooner than sharpish.

One assumes that the householder might be found smouldering on the
floor (when the ceiling fixture has been touched) by a family member.
That family member might well remember "oh yes, he/she had that
fitting looked at by someone last year". And in the particular case
that I refer to I was doing the job on behalf of a landlord - the
landlord is definitely going to remember they paid to have the light
fitting sorted, otherwise the landlord would become liable (probably).

I don't think it is safe to assume that non-compliance won't be
traceable.

I was thinking much more of the D-I-Y case where the householder has
removed and replaced the kitchen light him/herself. Obviously if the
work has been paid for then there is, as you say, a paper trail to
follow.

I have, over the years, rewired large parts of our house. How could
anyone possibly decide which bits I have done and which I haven't?
(Except, hopefully, that my bits look better than the original)

--
Chris Green )