Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nomail-nospam@no.org is offline

Default Furnace fan design/installation question

John Grabowski wrote:

When you replace the motor, make sure that it has thermal protection.
Some motors have it built-in or you can add a magnetic starter or relay
with the correct thermal protection for your motor. That will prevent
it from burning out due to overload.

I've a technical background but don't know much about electric motors,
this one has a capacitor on the outside. It does not have the
customary reset button (thermal breaker), it's an Emerson
K55HXFZW-8023 "assembled in Mexico".

Have you tried contacting the factory for some advice on this matter? I
mean by telephone; not their web site.

Yes, once. The secretary told me "we only make them" and switched me
over to someone who ended up being an open line. What better place BTW
to provide efficient and fast support than on a web site? I also sent
an email to the parent outfit, nothing yet. I should be getting some
other contact numbers tomorrow as I've just got in touch with the
original installer who is disabled. Also tracked down the original
retailer who sold him the whole lot, they've fired the only person who
knew all about furnaces. The manufacturer has been bought out and the
buyer also in turn. It's getting more complicated every day :-)

As it is I need to hit three objectives, get the warranty refund for
the last replacement that I paid for pending, verify that the
assembly/design is solid (I have serious doubts about that at two
levels), and see how to head off any future problems because the
warranty expires in a month or two. I should have more info in 24 hours.

Cheers