Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Default Problem with furniture smell (formaldehyde), what to do?

On Jun 16, 8:18*pm, wrote:
I have a bedroom furniture set which I purchased 8 month ago from a
large retailer. It is solid wood with wood veneers, and drawers are
made of plywoods (uncoated).

I have a big problem with its smell and I believe it is due to the
formaldehyde in the plywood and glue. I've been trying to air it out
by opening all the drawers and windows, but it's been 8 month, and
although it probably is a little better, it still smells strongly if
windows are closed overnight. The worst part is, I get a bad sour
throat if I sleep in the room. My wife is pregnant so I am being very
cautious, we've been sleeping in a different room since we purchased
the furniture.

The smell is mostly coming from the drawers, which have uncoated
plywood boards, and a little bit from the veneers, probably from the
glue. This is consistent with the information I can find on
formaldehyde. It's kind of a warm paint like smell.

I called the company and explained the problem, but it doesn't look
like they are willing to take it back. I want to know if someone can
suggest a better way for me to handle this. I can:

1) Take my loss and throw out the furniture. It's $3k, but I don't
want to risk my life or my unborn child's health with it. (We gonna
need that master bedroom when the kid is born). But 3K is a lot of
money. *I'd rather not go this route if other options are better.

2) Take a less loss and sell it on craigslist. Used furniture
unfortunately does not sell much, and I don't know if I'll be able to
sell it if at all.

3) Find some companies to come out and test the level of formaldehyde
in the air or in the product. If I leave the windows and door closed
overnight, the room definitely smells. If I have some kind of proof
that the product is a health hazard, then the company may take it
back. If the product is indeed not safe, I don't want others to be buy
it either.

What company does these type of testing? I called the manufacturer of
the furniture, but they claim they follow all standards and smell
should go away after 2 to 3 days, yeah right! I recall a while ago a
lady called some company to test the mercury level in the room after
she broke a florescent light... Is this the same type of company? Who
did the testing in the lead level in toys? The manufacturers right?

4) Does the government offer any help in dealing with these type of
product safety issues? Who should I contact?

The product is made in China. We all heard about the lead paint on
toys. My gut feeling is the factories that made these plywoods in
China does not follow the US standards on how much off gasing the
plywoods can have (for indoor use). What's the best way to get this
tested one way or the other? If I have to spend some money to test
this (say $100 or $200, I have no idea how much these things cost) I
don't mind, but if it cost $1000, then probably not.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

I would buy a few cans of spray varnish at a big box hardware store
and spray everything in sight on the drawers except the fronts which
should already be finished. Then as soon as the spray varnish has
driec to handle, put the drawers outside in the sun to air and dry. 3
or 4 cans shouldd be plenty for one or two dressers. Total cost under
$25 so worth the effort.

Also spray the inside of the main dresser(s) with the varnish and
also put out in the sun to air out. Have you had someone else, a
neighbor or friend, see if they can smell the problem. IF it is as
bad as you say, take a piece (drawer) back to the store where you
ordered the furniture. You do sound a little bit like you are over
sensitive to this.