Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default attic fan performance questions

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Different areas of the world get different results and certainly
different vents (inlets) make for differences in results.

Frankly I have not found that power vents are of much if any use.
Proper generous static venting seems to work just as well without
noise and electricity. The worse situations I have seen is when power
vents end up disrupting the natural flow and can even increase the
temperature.

The real differences I have seen is poorly vented areas.

Overall yours does not seem to be bad.

If you really want to do something make sure it has inlets greater
than
the minimum required and that the fan is not short circuiting the
natural air flow.

or sucking the AC out of the house via access, vents (stupidly)
terminating in the attic, etc.

"z" wrote in message
.
..
got a remote reading thermometer and stashed it in the attic to see
what's happening. now i'm wondering what i should expect.

normalish 50 year old ranch house, connecticut. 1500 sq feet more or
less. old central AC, not particularly powerful or efficient. normal
amount of insulation, i.e. less than would be optimum but normal for
the period. powered vent fan, mushroom style. soffit vents, gable
vents, etc.

on the wise advice proferred here last year, i upped the temp on the
thermostat for the vent fan from 80 degree to about 100 IIRC.

OK; so during the final months of winter, when i had the
thermometer, there was a maximum of about 20 degrees difference
between the house and the attic.

lately, when it's warm, often 20 degrees difference, obviously in the
opposite direction. during a hot spell last week, when it was 90+
outside, attic got up to 120; house got up to 87 (AC off during
daytime).

so, is this reasonable/expected for powered attic vent? would bigger
fan do better?