Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21958 Ignoramus21958 is offline

Default Proper greasing and run-in of new spindle bearings?

On 2008-06-17, Don Young wrote:

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
. ..
I'm replacing the spindle bearings on a mill I'm converting from CNC back
to manual, a Millport. I have two sets of bearings collected from ebay, a
set of Timkin and a set of Barden bearings. Is there any real difference
between the two? I know they are both excellent names, but if there's one
better than the other, I'd like to keep it for my manual Bridgeport.

Now, I got a small container of grease for the bearings. Would like to
know the proper procedure for greasing and running in of the new bearings.
Mill is a step pulley with a 2 speed motor and goes up to 5400rpm. I am
pretty darn sure I don't want to be running it full tilt right off the
bat!

Anyone?

Thanks,

Jon

(and if anyone remembers, yes this is the mill I intended to replace a
couple years ago when I bought that Frankenmill from Putterman on ebay.
It's 'alive' again! Got a noisy head I have to dig into, but otherwise
it's living up to expectations)

I may be wrong but my understanding of Bridgeport spindle bearings is that
some later ones were sealed and the rest were open. The open bearings are
lubricated by oil which works down through the felt washer from the oil cup
on the top of the head. I do not think any manual Bridgeport spindle
bearings are supposed to be greased.

They arew supposed to be oiled with spindle oil. (!)
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/