Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Bruce -- compressor

On 2008-06-16, JohnB wrote:
"Ignoramus21958" wrote in message
Bruce, I called Champion and according to them, this pump is very old,
but they had data on it and said that it is a 5 HP pump with 500-600
RPM speed range.

[ ... ]

I am going to order a 6206 bearing to replace the DE bearing, which is
total **** at this point.

I may be wrong on this point, but I think that if the motor shaft support
bearings are bad enough that they do not keep the motor rotor centered in
the stator, this can cause higher than normal currents also.

And if they are bad enough, the rotor will be rubbing on the
pole pieces and dragging. If you see shiny metal on the rotor while it
is apart, this has been happening.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564