Posted to alt.home.repair
bent bent is offline

Default Why do (pool) water test strips have both a pH and Alkalinity Low to High scale?

from http://www.poolcenter.com/watbal.htm

under the pH text:
"To have pH in balance we adjust the water with additions of pH increasers
(bases) or pH de-creasers (acids) to achieve the range of 7.2 - 7.8. If
.....pH value below 7.2 ... you will need to add a base to ....[if] above
7.8, ....add an acid"

& under the TA text:
"Low alkalinity is raised by the addition of a base (similar to pH); sodium
bicarbonate is commonly used. High levels of alkalinity are lowered by the
addition of an acid (similar to pH)."

So to fix my low pH and low TA according to the poolcenter's (above) text

to fix low pH : add a base
to fix low TA : add a base

That is just deduced from their text

Sodium Bicarbonate is the recommended base, to raise a low TA, under the
poolcenter's TA text. I have two different brands of "pH Up/Boost"
chemicals and they are both "sodium carbonate".

But I have no chemical labelled for TA Up/Boost. Is it the same one? [The
Na-C?] So seriously, at this point, I'd just be happy with like a solution
to the current problem! Hello.

I do have a chemical labelled for pH down, which is "acid sulphate of soda"
which says "to lower pH and alkalinity of swimming pool water".

p.s.
I have three different brands of test strips here & all three have both pH
and TA scales.

I thought I had a point to this, and I had the evidence, but all I can tell
you now is that I don't think I can remember my name! So if high is high
add low. And If low is high add low. No, what? Am I high?