Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Condo invaded by wharf borer beetles

wrote:

Thanks for all the information everyone. I really appreciate it.
The location is Chicago, Illinois about 3 miles west from downtown.
I'm going to take some pictures of the building and i'll post links to
them here soon.

The building had some leaking problems in the beginning and I did see
water get in through the windows. This happened the first year i moved
in. I believe water was getting in through the roof but that was
repaired. That may have set the stage for the investation though. /
sigh

The 3rd unit hasn't sold yet so the developer still has control of the
association. Its difficult working with them because they are way out
in the suburbs and they don't speak English very well. After
explaining the situation to them i don't believe they realize how big
of a problem this could be. They are trying to sell the 3rd unit but
my guess is they will have to disclose this problem to any possible
buyers??? Also are they responsible for 1/3 of repair costs? I am
guessing i should get a lawyer involved.

These are the pest we are seeing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharf_borer
I have found them pretty much everywhere in the condo and all 3 units
have them. I have seen a few outsite but mostly inside, highest
concentration being in two of the bathrooms and by the main entrance
door to the building and the rear door of my unit.

How many units in the condo? What is your role in making repairs -
board member, just unit owner?
How does the idea of having the city building dept. check the place for
construction defects and leaks
strike you? Scares me ) My city is worthless in that respect.