Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Sketchup is nifty!

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news:uIc5k.20452$3j2.10937@trnddc03...

"Swingman" wrote:

When _I_ draw woodworking plans, I spec them for a dumbass ... out of
necessity.

Which is why HOLES are dimensioned by diameter, independent of material
and layout tools.

That may be what things have evolved to, I was taught in the early 70's to
only indicate the radius. The rule on dimensioning was to "NEVER" over
demension a drawing. The person reading the drawing was to determine those
measurements that were missing a demension including having to double the
radius to determine the diameter of a circle. You indicated the demension
to the distance that you set your bow compass to, to draw the circle, the
radius not the diameter.

"No Brainer" is a standard requirement when trying to communicate by
drawing.

Not what I was taught, including archetectural drawings, you had to know
basic math to be able correctly read a drawing.

At least it was, maybe things have changed.

Making a mistake in material can be very expensive.

Might explain why manufacturing has been exported to Tiawan, those people
are good at math.