Posted to rec.woodworking
RLM RLM is offline

Default O/T: Stroke Awareness

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 04:40:54 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I pass this on in hopes that it just might help.

Lew
................................................ ......................................

Subject: Signs of a stroke

STROKE I DENTIFICATION:

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke
victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the
effects of a stroke... totally.

He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized,
diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically
cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Remember the first 3 letters: STR .

Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by
asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK

SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. It is sunny out today)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks,
call 911 immediately and describe the symptoms to
the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke --- Stick out Your Tongue

Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.

If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or
the other, that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail
sends it to 10 people, you can bet that at least one
life will be saved.

My wife is a diabetic and has had a couple of strokes.

A sudden lose of sight is also a symptom and requires calling the squad
immediately.

If she is feeling out of sorts I ask her to do the examples you have cited.
The earlier action is taken tends to help with the outcome.