Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nomail-nospam@no.org is offline

Default Furnace fan design/installation question

Hi,

I'm trying to troubleshoot possible causes for three consecutive fan
motor burnouts in my oil furnace. The dealer/installer is no longer
contactable and I'm getting nowhere with the manufacturer's website.

Having inspected what I could, one thing that doesn't seem right is
the fan assembly (modern direct-driven drum type). The impeller blades
are inclined outward in the direction of rotation i.e. as if to claw
back air being forced out by centrifical force. Can this be correct?
I could be wrong but it seems to me that blades should be straight, or
if bent to a venturi curve and inclined as in this case, then the high
(outboard) edge should be the trailing one.

The rotation direction matches the arrow on the drum housing but if
motor-mounting holes were drilled as part of the installation then
incorrect assembly would have been possible.

I've been on baseboards for over 25 years and the last oil furnace I
had was still running without problems since 15 years when I had
bought that house. I don't remember how it's fan was configured
though, it was an older generation belt-driven rig.

TIA