Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default pool pump motor capacitor question

a friend is having problems with the pump in an outdoor pool.
Apparently the motor ran one day then the next day it would not come
on. mains supply is good. He suspects a capacitor - which seems to be
16uF 400v , from the motor. I've seen it, quite a chunky thing with a
small threaded screw coming out of it for attachment and a plastic
body. it's about the size of the mains filter caps in 1970s t.v.s

I had never seen a 16uF cap before, and I am surprised at this size.
Is it likely to be an electrolytic? I presume replacing this is a
good place to start. Any thoughts?
-B