Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Wrench with non-parallel jaws

"Curt Welch" wrote: (clip) The handle of adjustable wrenches are angled at
about 30 deg (half of the
hex nut 60 deg) to make it possible to flip the wrench over in tight
places
and continue to turn a hex bolt with minimal movement of handle (allowing
it to be used in tighter locations than a wrench with a handle which was
parallel to the jaws). (clip)

Adjustable wrenches are designed with jaws strong enough so they won't
break or bend if they are used by a normal strength human without
extending
the length of the handle with a cheater bar. You don't need to worry
about
the jaw bending or breaking. (clip)

These two statements, taken together, seem to make the entire discussion
academic. When you maike use of the 30 degree offset in tight quarters, you
are making half the pulls the "wrong" way. Since I believe Curt is right
about the strength of the wrench, I now have decided that there IS NO wrong
way.

The "wrong way" to use an adjustable wrench is with a cheater. ;-)