Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default JD tie rod end taper?

BillM wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

I don't know what ou have for a shop, perhaps
take a sample to a local
machine shop that may be able to measure more
precisely?

Measured the large and small end with a 0-1
mike. Length with a vernier caliper.
Comes out at 1.0603" per foot. That's an
average of 3 readings, but none of then varied
by more than a few thousandths.

If I set the new tie rod end up on the mill
table, dial it concentric (vertical), put a dial
indicator
in the quill setting horizontal on the
centerline I should be able to get a very
accurate read on
the taper by computing the dial indicator
against the quill DRO.

I guess I'm just trying to be a little lazy,
hoping that somewhere in the near infinite
knowledge of the group there was someone that
had "been there, done that", and I would have
the answer--
complete with the supplier and part number for
the reamer. Oh well, guess I'll have to do my
own homework. :-)

Bill

5º IIRC, been a while, but used to be a good little earner
resurrecting JD frontends.

I don't like your chances of remedying oval holes in situ
with a reamer. Boring and sleeving was the norm.

Tom

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --