Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
:Jerry: :Jerry: is offline

Default CFLs and UHF interference

:Jerry: wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
We have more oil reserves now than we've ever had before.

So where did it all magically appear from?

New discoveries, no one truly knows how much oil is under the two
ice caps for example whilst new discoveries are being made under
the Southdown's for example.

so basically a 'reserve' is a number on a piece of paper that may or
may not be related to actual extractable oil in the ground in a
place where it can be extracted?

Normally it's *extractable oil*, although it might (at a given point
in time) be uneconomic to extract, but (at another point in time, yet
unknown) might become economic to extract. OTOH it is known that there
is oil that is *un-extractable* (such as under the poles) which AIUI
is not counted, but should technology change and the oil becomes
extractable...

Oil companies share prices are directly related to their reserves:
Their directors remuneration is directly related to the share price.

Cui Bono?

Purrlease.

Just because green u washed are talking up their case doesn't mean
the oil companies aren't.

Well that might be so, but just as the oil companies can talk up their
position so can everyone else, for example those scientist who get
their funding (and thus income) from researching 'climate change, IOW
be careful when using that sort of argument as it can bite back!

Anyway, the 'problem' seems to be solving itself. Temperatures
have stopped rising.
Tell that to the penguins

Like our ancestors should have done, no doubt, at the end of the
last ice-age when the penguins (or their ancestors) had to either
move further north or adapt...

So you admit that we are still in a cycle of highly rapid global
warming, then?

Err, what I was saying is that glib, emotive, comments like "Tell that
to the penguins" doesn't serve any worth in the debate due to the fact
that the climate has been changing since the beginning of the world,
if it hadn't were would probably not be around and the Dinosaurs would
still be walking the earth. As for climate cycling, that is the great
unexplained, for instance we were told in 2001 that the flood (at that
time in York) were the worse for 400 years and thus proved CC/GW, but
no one ever explained what caused the even worse floods of 400 plus
years ago - IOW is current thing that most man calls "Climate Change"
a result of 'pollution' or is it simply the result of a natural cycle?