Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_2_] Phil Kangas[_2_] is offline

Default Wrench with non-parallel jaws

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:34:36 GMT,

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

The movable jaw transmits its moment into the slot in the

handle, which is
likely to be weaker than the stationary jaw. So you want

it to receive less
moment. Therefore, turn the wrench so the force on the

movable jaw is away
from, the tip.

Count that five for those that understand moments. I could

never understand
how people could convince themselves that the other way

was right.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Perhaps it is more a mental/physical preference in the
handling of the
adjusting screw more than a study of forces for most people.
Seems
to me that when the pressure is applied to the outer tip of
the movable
jaw the leading edge of that jaw is under tension. When the
force
applied is closer to the slideway the force applied is more
in line with
the adjusting screw axis. So how 'strong' are the adjusting
threads
when loaded like this?
Phil Kangas