Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default generator extension cord

wrote in message
On Jun 14, 11:32 am, dpb wrote:
Dottie wrote:

neighbors is a licensed electrician and his setup is very plain and
simple. ...

But in all likelihood, correctly done.

Plus, the dude will know what he's doing; OP obviously doesn't (nothing
wrong about that other than trying to get by w/o getting proper input)
and his description makes it sound like he's got a questionable
arrangement at best...

--

Here is a link to some pictures of the configuration:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...ome-and-garden

It is as simple as getting the proper 120/240 plug and wire and using
the ground screw in the connection box to connect the ground wire
coming from the plug? The red and black will be hoy and the white will
be neutral.

Mike, you have some very nice pictures, but I am unable to tell how
everything is wired to each other. However from what I did observe, this is
not a code compliant installation. There is non-metallic (Smurf tube) being
used outdoors and in the ground and also without the proper fittings. There
are exposed conductors without conduit going from the circuit breaker panel
to the homemade transfer switch box. I am guessing that the grey fused
switch (Junction box) is protecting the generator load, but the wires inside
seem to be several different sizes. This entire installation seems more
complicated then it needs to be.

I strongly suggest that you have an electrician go over this and bring it up
to code.