Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
dpb dpb is offline

Default generator extension cord

Here is a link to some pictures of the configuration:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...ome-and-garden

It is as simple as getting the proper 120/240 plug and wire and using
the ground screw in the connection box to connect the ground wire
coming from the plug? The red and black will be hoy and the white will
be neutral.

OK, neater than I expected but still a problem possibly.

Problem diagnosing from afar is can't tell what's in the box the two
toggle switches are switching.

The box itself appears to simply be a junction box, not a commercial
transfer switch so can't assume anything about what is actually inside.

The labels say "ATS" which one would infer stands for "automatic
transfer switch" but don't know if that's what's behind them or not, nor
what they're actually switching.

If they are the two hot legs, they're not supposed to be independently
switchable. If there is some control logic inside for an auto-transfer
mode, it's remotely possible it is compliant.

I still think if you are unable to tell for sure what you're looking at
if you open it up (which I presume is the case or you wouldn't be asking
the kinds of questions you are), you should have a licensed electrician
or the power-co look at it before it is used.

Note this doesn't mean it doesn't "work" -- it simply isn't clear what
the installation actually does and whether it is compliant w/ the Code
and rules for ensuring disconnecting from the grid are being followed.