Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default generator extension cord

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:10:34 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

metspitzer wrote:

Furthermore, backfeeding a house circuit through an outlet is about the
stupidest thing you can do. If it only affected your house, I'd say go for it
and what what happens when your insurance company refuses to pay out any claims.
Seeing the legal prosecution for endangering emergency workers would also be fun
if it wasn't for the potential threat to their life.

Backfeeding your house with a generator is a wise thing to do if you
have a transfer switch.

It is dangerous, without one, for many reasons.

You need to read a bit closer. I said that backfeeding a house _through an
outlet_ is about the stupidest thing you can do. There is no way to wire a
transfer switch into an outlet.

It is common to use an outlet made especially for this purpose. It
has a special male plug that has a dead front.

This assures there are no live pins on any of the cords while you are
using the generator. It is not the famous "suicide cord"