Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV ON switch won't latch

On Jun 14, 4:17*pm, PaPaPeng wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:14:08 -0700 (PDT), b

wrote:
On 14 jun, 19:12, PaPaPeng wrote:

Now back to the original problem of loss of second tier cable channels
that is blamed on the channel tuner.

did you try the menu idea I mentioned before? what happened?
B.

Sorry, missed that. *I have only a generic remote without that option.
My house was broken into and the crooks took my stereo, etc. consoles
the TV being too big to carry.

I forgot about the controls hidden behind the front panel. *But now
that I can't even get the TV set to fire up I won't be able to check
out the menu options.

As I remember, there is a high-voltage shutdown in those sets that
probably takes about 5 seconds from turn-on to turn off. If the OP
hears or feels a static sound just before the shutoff click, it is
probably an overvoltage problem.

It could also be a failure of the horizontal stage to turn on, the
initial power to the relay depends on the horizontal output stage to
fire up, and one of the turns on the transformer is connected to a
rectifier which then provides a holding voltage to the power relay to
keep it turned on. Without an oscilloscope, it is impossible to be
sure which of these scenarios is the case.

If the OP can feel the hairs on his arm react when the set is first
turned on and his arm is near the face of the CRT, there is probably
high voilatage being developed and it is an overvoltage shutdown. If
he doesn't feel any static build-up, then it is probably lack of
power to the holding relay that is the problem.

Bob Hofmann