Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Static issue with older TV

On Jun 12, 10:54*pm, PaPaPeng wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:02:59 -0700 (PDT), "Tim R."

wrote:
I have an old Zenith A1920W TV from 1984 that works great except for
one small problem.

When I first turn it on, I will get nothing but static on all
channels, and then it will suddenly clear up and work fine. It will
alternate between working and static for a little while and eventually
work normally. After that I can watch for hours with no issues.

Is it an overheating component? Or something expanding/contracting and
making intermittent contact? If anyone can point me in the right
direction I'd appreciate it.

Tim

It is most likely a cold solder joint that is affected by heat. *A
good slap on the cabinet usually restores the video. *Open up the
cover and use a long wood dowel to move the cables around with the TV
switched on. *You might get lucky and the problem will appear. *From
there it is easy enough to trace the cable to where the cold solder
joint is. *Otherwise just reflow the solder on the pin connectors on
the motherboard. *This is faster and easier than trying to
troubleshoot. *

Trouble is, it may not be a cold solder joint to a connector, but ANY
component that is soldered. Probing the entire board quickly when
first turned on may find the problem area, but the OP will need to
probe everything, not just in the vicinity of connectors..

Bob Hofmann