Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sketchup is nifty!

"Dave in Houston" wrote

"Swingman"wrote in message

Here's my first 3D effort with Sketchup ... just for practice, a

rendering
(after the fact) of the owl nesting box I built last weekend for a
neighbor.

It is not uncommon to see some very small owls here in NW Houston
(Beltway 8/ 290) and I suppose they can squeeze into some small openings.
But I would have thought a 1 5/8 inch opening would be more in tune for a
purple martin or somesuch.
So, the question is what kind of owl is this box intended for?

Probably hard to tell from the jpg, but look closely ... that's radius, not
diameter.

The nesting box is for screech/saw-whet owls. There is an identical box (the
one I used as a go-by) down the street with three little heads, and six big,
unblinking eyes, peeping out as we speak, which is apparently what sparked
the sudden interest in the nesting boxes hereabouts, with folks paying in
excess of $50 for white pine boxes ... go figure.

AAMOF, the one I made for me out of the extra wood is already up on a tree
about ten blocks away.

Have you noticed any advantage to having the Pro version? Other than Layout,
and some export/import functions, is there any added CAD functionality, and
would you consider it a worthwhile expense for woodworking projects?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Attached Thumbnails