Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
dpb dpb is offline

Default generator extension cord

I think that the best thing to do at this point is to provide a link
to pictures of the configuration. I will work on this today. I believe
the installation was done professionally and the solution is simple
but I just do not have the resources beyond asking for help here.

It would undoubtedly help, but I have a pretty good idea what you'll
show will be a jury-rigged setup that isn't proper.

If you don't have the resources to get an electrician to inspect as
someone else suggested, I think you should simply not attempt to use the
generator until you can do so.

Unless it is approved (and I seriously doubt the arrangement you have
described is or has been), you cannot legally hook it up anyway in any
jurisdiction. The danger of "backfeeding" thru your service transformer
to a utility worker the high voltage on the other side of the
transformer is simply unacceptable w/o a a _PROPER_ transfer switch
arrangement (and two toggle switches ain't proper).

The fact the former owner apparently didn't even connect the ground is a
problem and shouldn't use w/o it, but it pales in comparison to the
other as severity of risk.