Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default CFLs and UHF interference

Arfa,

Your response is definitely worth my time reading. Thanks for taking my
"energy only" post as intended, as a genuine questioning of the realities.

In terms of colour temperature and CRI - I am frequently reminded of the
ghastly light given out by ordinary fluorescents back in the 1960s. But,
at their very best, I actually prefer them to traditional tungsten in
many situations. But not the ordinary 2700K supermarket specials. We
have a few that were highly recommended for photography - and I do like
them. I find ordinary tungsten (and the CFLs intended to approximate to
them) definitely too yellow and dull-seeming.

When it comes to energy usage, I have to question how much difference
the actual lamps make. I was in a brand new branch of M&S yesterday.
Going over to the side of the store with the food hall, you could feel a
coldness metres away. Inside, it was freezing. All the open shelves were
cascading very cold air down onto the floor. At the same time, warm,
even hot, air was blasting out of vents around the department - most
especially the bakery unit. (Of course, the noise level in there
rivalled a factory.) The lighting in the entire store is truly
impressive - probably better suited to a film set than a shop. You could
probably light half the town if the wasted energy were redirected. :-)

And in this part of the world, "they" have started a progam of switching
off street lighting - mostly those which are not fully built-up - to
save money. Madness - spend a fortune installing the lighting (and all
the associated pollution) and then not use it. (In some places they have
installed LED cats-eyes.)

--
Rod

onset.