Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Bird in Chimney

CDET 14 wrote in
:

On Jun 12, 8:13*pm, Red Green wrote:
There was no screen cover on this HUD Wreck I've been working on and
I failed to put one on right after getting it. I hear an adult bird
in there

now. Goes in and out. It's a straight shot up.

Will smoking em with some newspaper and maybe pinecones get em to
vacate a

bit while I run up and put a cover on ya think? Don't wanna really
light a

regular fire since it's been hovering around 100 the past 10 days if
ya know what I mean.

Please, no cracks about bats in my belfry :-)

These are probably chimney swifts and are protected by the
International Migrating Bird Treaty.
FYI
You are breaking the law if you remove an active nest, eggs, baby
birds, or adult birds.

They would be dead birds. So I guess I'm all set.

They will vacate the nest at the end of the summer. You can put a
screen up then.

Does the International Migrating Bird Treaty have a fund where you submit
request for monney for the any damage done?

Screen should not be "back door screen",

Really? I was gonna use that nice color coordinated charcoal plastic
stuff. Peachy!

but hardware cloth with holes
big enough to not plug when flue gasses are expelled.

Hardware cloth? Instead of some hack hardware cloth how about a real
cover that also keeps rain out?

I am a former Certifed Chimney Sweep