Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Keeping the sump pipe clean

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:54:29 -0700, Joe wrote:

snip

The silt you are seeing comes from somewhere and might be a sign of
serious problems with the structure's foundation or underpinnings. Sump
installations usually show clear water after only a few months of
service. If something is washing away that substructure you could have
severe settling problems. Early signs would be sticking doors, drywall
cracks at window and door openings and simillar. Reno's comments on yard
drainage are spot on. Good luck.

Joe

Yes I think there are some problems. the water is clear. over time the
sand and mud comes. Perhaps like about 6 months the pit requires a
cleaning. Basement floor has cracked and doors to stick. The drain tiles
were laid poorly. I think the sand and stuff is coming from the back of
my house because the ground is soft in one spot...

Maybe I need to call and engineer or someone to inspect since my house is
only 5 years old.