Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default generator extension cord

"John Grabowski" wrote in
:

wrote in message
.
.. On Jun 13, 3:58 pm, "jack" wrote:
wrote in message

I need to make a short extension cord that goes from my portable
generator 240V 4-wire receptacle to a 3-wire receptacle that powers
2 120V house circuits. The 3-wires are red and black and white. How
do I make this? The 3 wires go into a junction box where the white
wire is attached to some kind of common connection and the red and
black are each attached to its own toggle switch that flips the
power between the power company and the generator.

Your little circuit doesn't have a ground? That is pretty idiotic; I
would recommend against using it. Who knows what else is done
improperly.

Isn't the transfer the box that has the 2 toggle switches to switch
between power company and generator? Everything was already in place
and working when I bought the house. The only thing missing was how
the generator hooked up to the 3-wires going to the sub-panel. What
ever contraption the previous owner used to connect his generator to
the end of the 3 wires is missing and a mystery to me. I am pretty
certain that whatever he did was correct. I just don't know what he
used to go from 4 wires to 3 wires.

The previous owner probably used a suicide cord and was smart not to
leave it behind for you. The two independent toggle switches could be
three way switches that toggle between generator power and street
power. However the two poles must be switched together, not
independently which makes your set up wrong and potentially unsafe.

You need to re-do this whole connection. You need a flanged inlet to
connect your cord to. You need a real transfer switch or an interlock
kit to make the transfer. And you will need to fabricate or purchase
an appropriate cord.

I'd say that he needs to have a licensed electrician inspect that "setup"
and make CERTAIN it's safe,or get rid of it completely and put in a
trustworthy system.

Better to be safe than sorry.
It could be HIS own life that gets taken,or someone very dear to him.

and don't forget about carbon monoxide.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik