Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default generator extension cord

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:23:25 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

"jack" wrote:

I need to make a short extension cord that goes from my portable
generator 240V 4-wire receptacle to a 3-wire receptacle that powers 2
120V house circuits. The 3-wires are red and black and white. How do I
make this? The 3 wires go into a junction box where the white wire is
attached to some kind of common connection and the red and black are
each attached to its own toggle switch that flips the power between
the power company and the generator.

Your little circuit doesn't have a ground? That is pretty idiotic; I would
recommend against using it. Who knows what else is done improperly.

Furthermore, backfeeding a house circuit through an outlet is about the
stupidest thing you can do. If it only affected your house, I'd say go for it
and what what happens when your insurance company refuses to pay out any claims.
Seeing the legal prosecution for endangering emergency workers would also be fun
if it wasn't for the potential threat to their life.

Backfeeding your house with a generator is a wise thing to do if you
have a transfer switch.

It is dangerous, without one, for many reasons.