Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wrench with non-parallel jaws

I suppose you have to do the stress design on the entire part of the wrench.
This wasn't a obtw but from seasoned men I wish I had 1% of in me yelled to
stop...
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

John Martin wrote:
On Jun 12, 10:23 pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
Take a wrench and hang it onto something.

One way you are putting the pressure on the top jaw, the other way
puts it on the bottom jaw.

You normally want it on the top one. The bottom jaw isn't as strong,
being that of a sliding jaw that moves side to side and in and out.
The latter can break if the main force is placed there.

Martin

Martin:

I think you're way off the mark with your mention of the "main force".

As I see it, if you're pulling on a wrench with 100 pounds of force on
the end of the handle, then the far jaw should have on it 100 more
pounds of force than the near jaw. It's pretty much meaningless,
though, because it is dwarfed by comparison to the force on the jaws
coming from the nut's trying to wedge them open. That force is equal
on both jaws.

I wasn't trying to set you up with a trick question, though. I do
expect that most people will say as you did: if you are pulling a
wrench, the adjustable jaw should be toward you. I'm not sure that's
right - here's why.

If you're pulling on a wrench with the solid jaw away from you, the
force is at the base of the solid jaw and the tip of the sliding jaw.
The force on the sliding jaw is also to push it against the wrench
frame.

If you're puling on a wrench with the solid jaw toward you, the force
is against the base of the sliding jaw, and is also to pull it away
from the wrench frame.

I'd rather have the force against the base of the sliding jaw, even
though doing it "backwards" like that does try to pull the jaw out of
the frame. But I'd like to hear what some others think.

John Martin