Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Ladder for working near WRAPPED electrical wires

RBM wrote:

"blueman" wrote in message
I need to do some painting and gutter repair in the vicinity of our
aeriel service entrance.

I have called the electric company and they will be WRAPPING the wires
with insulation.

Do I still need to use a non-aluminum ladder or will the wrapping
protect me? (as long as I don't do something really dumb...)

(note I asked the electric company but because of liability concerns
they couldn't advise me either way -- gotta love our litigious society...)

Thanks

Typically the overhead service drop conductors are already insulated. I
would have some concern if they are not. It would certainly be safer if you
can get a hold of a wood or fiberglass ladder, but I would be more concerned
about handling an aluminum leader or gutter near the wires. Do wear gloves

Disclaimer: Not having seen your particular situation there could be
unknown issues.

As noted, the service drop conductors are normally insulated to begin
with. When the utility "wraps" them they usually drop on the same heavy
orange rubber sectional insulating sleeves they use on the primary lines
which run 100X+ the voltage of your service drop.

The most significant risks to watch out for would normally be:

- Ladder stability / falls

- The possibility of hitting the insulated service drop cables with a
gutter section (or similar) sharp enough to cut through the insulation
and make contact with the wire.

A non conductive ladder, preferably fiberglass, though dry wood is
adequately non conductive for residential service drop voltages of 120V
to ground.