Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Keeping the sump pipe clean

On Jun 13, 8:21*am, dnoyeB wrote:
I have a sump pit in my house, obviously. *The builder appearantly did not
sock the drail tiles or something because I get lots of sand/mud in the
pit and occasionally tar. *I can clean the pit every so often which is not
too painful. *I also clean the pump every so often, but actually since I
switched from a sump pump to a sewage ejector sump, the pump itself has
remained clean.

Anyway, what happens is the pipes become lined with this red mud. *I snake
the parts I can. *I took the outside pipe off yesterday while making some
modifications and noticed that the 1 1/2" pipe had been reduced to about
1/2" pipe by the caked on mud.

What strategy should I use to prevent the caking of this mud? *Do I need a
stronger pump? *Something about the type of pipes (PVC)? *Or the angle of
the bends?

snip

The silt you are seeing comes from somewhere and might be a sign of
serious problems with the structure's foundation or underpinnings.
Sump installations usually show clear water after only a few months of
service. If something is washing away that substructure you could have
severe settling problems. Early signs would be sticking doors, drywall
cracks at window and door openings and simillar. Reno's comments on
yard drainage are spot on. Good luck.

Joe