Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ Andy Champ is offline

Default House revamp, total rewire to include AV and data cable runs...advice sought

Tim S wrote:
Andy Champ coughed up some electrons that declared:

PCPaul wrote:
Have a look at what office blocks do with 'soak wiring' with cat-5 or
cat-6.

snip

Use cat-6. That gives you gigabit, which you're bound to need in a
couple of years.

5e is good enough for gig to 100m and much easier to work with. 6a is good
for 10gig - is that what you meant?

No, it isn't. I was wrong. I'm not up on this modern stuff, I remember
10base5 - and that *was* a challenge to handle.

Andy

(BTW according to Wikipedia, gigabit was designed to run on plain cat5.
You might not need 5e)