Posted to alt.home.repair

Default weight suspended from I-joist ceiling

On Jun 13, 10:57�am, Reno wrote:
You are OK. Lots of new homes use those joists and many have finished
basements with drywall ceilings. Maybe double up on the screws to spread
out the load.

There is a type of fiberglas insulation that has acoustic in the name,
forget exact term, that may give you better sound suppression. I think it
was white color. The heavier the insulation the better the sound
suppression. Mass absorbs energy so the more mass the more sound energy
absorbed.

I have a home theater in basement of new home and used sound suppression
tiles in a drop-down ceiling. It is only partially effective and was an
extra cost, about $1500, over drywall. I didn't want to pay double again
for what were advertised as more effective tiles. Your idea is just as good
and probably more effective.

Sound travels somewhat like water - it will leak out wherever it can, so
you would get some benefit by plugging gaps around doors to the basement.
Try any gap filler but weight of the material is the key - light foam isn't
helpful. Heavy ribber strips would do it.

sprayed expanding closed cell foam will seal better.

sealing all the holes that can allow sound transfer is critical.

then use special sound deadening drywall on isolation strips.

dont forget too much volume can do long term damage to your hearing