Posted to alt.home.repair
franz fripplfrappl franz fripplfrappl is offline

Default Contact paper removal from Wallboard (Resend)

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 05:44:09 -0400, Bill C. wrote:

Hi all, (Sorry if this is a second sending, 12 hours have gone by and
it is not showing up for me)

I began a wallpaper removal in a kitchen using a steamer and now
discover that the very bottom layer is contact paper, ugh. The contact
paper is pulling the facing off of the wallboard! The walls are not
sheetrock, it has some type of pressed paper as a core. How do I repair
the damage so far? .....do I put a skim coat or mud on the surface? If
I need to skim coat the walls do I need to be as concerned about pulling
the facing off? Will the facing need to be replaced? It may be faster
and easier for me to pull the facing off and make repairs after, put on
a new facing or skim coating. Are there other things or ways to go
forward that I am missing? Maybe skim coating over the wallpaper that
has been peeling?

The good news is that the steamer is taking off the top 2 layers :-) .
Right now work is at a stop but it won't be long before the wife starts
asking questions.

HELP!

Bill C.

Having reread your post, I think I might avoid anything that has steam or
moisture. Damage to what surface there is beneath the mess may be
partially caused by the moisture. Still opt for a hairdryer or heat gun
to soften adhesive on contact paper. I would then apply a couple thin
layers of drywall compound and work it smooth to match rest of wall.

Franz Fripplfrappl