Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14 CDET 14 is offline

Default Bird in Chimney

On Jun 12, 8:13*pm, Red Green wrote:
There was no screen cover on this HUD Wreck I've been working on and I
failed to put one on right after getting it. I hear an adult bird in there
now. Goes in and out. It's a straight shot up.

Will smoking em with some newspaper and maybe pinecones get em to vacate a
bit while I run up and put a cover on ya think? Don't wanna really light a
regular fire since it's been hovering around 100 the past 10 days if ya
know what I mean.

Please, no cracks about bats in my belfry :-)

These are probably chimney swifts and are protected by the
International Migrating Bird Treaty.
FYI
You are breaking the law if you remove an active nest, eggs, baby
birds, or adult birds.

They will vacate the nest at the end of the summer. You can put a
screen up then.
Screen should not be "back door screen", but hardware cloth with holes
big enough to not plug when flue gasses are expelled.

I am a former Certifed Chimney Sweep