Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default CFLs and UHF interference

David Hansen wrote:

Neither design was particularly appealing, but they showed the way.
The latest lamps are continuously dimmable from a standard dimmer,
though are only available in some types at the moment.

Is there any indication of whether
dimming them reduces their consumption significantly, unlike tunsten?

No idea about that. The consumption is already low so there may not
be much scope to reduce it further.

Damn! I didn't realise that standard dimmers could be used on any low
energy lamps. Just replaced mine with switches. I'll certainly follow up
the idea of dimmables for some of my lamps. I guess you are right about
not worrying too much about energy use when dimmed. I now light a whole
large room, with much greater variety because of needing more lamps, for
a little over what it cost me for one wall light. I am sure that lamp
makers are investigating all kinds of technologies.

Another way to reduce consumption is to use a video projector instead of
a TV. Mine makes a 2.3 m wide picture using 170 watts. My old 32" screen
looks like a postage stamp now.

Peter Scott