Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default CFLs and UHF interference

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:51:11 +0100 someone who may be Peter Scott
wrote this:-

Very few topics are completely black and white. The environment is very,
very grey, partly because it is so new we have not had the chance to
develop common-sense and experience and partly because it is highly
complex.

Agreed.

Turning them on and off is not a good idea

No longer true, though there was something to be said for it with
the earliest such lamps. Not just because of the possibility of
failure but also because of the long warming up time.

so you leave them on.

Some of my energy saving lamps have been turned on and off for short
periods for something like a decade. No sign of them flagging yet.

The fitting are really bad. I made the mistake of buying some
wall-lights with the new square bases. Discovered too late that I
couldn't buy lower rated lamps for them so they are too bright. These
are the only types so far that can be dimmed (not mine though).

New lamps became available, I guess, towards the end of last year
which are continuously dimmable.

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/browse_category.asp?Mode=prods&PGID=109
is one supplier.

--