Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coat Hooks

John Rumm wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:

Tried my normal rawplugs and it wasnt beefy enough to hold my coat
hangers (4 on a piece of wood) Tried an anchor, that too pulled
through the plasterboard. I wonder what else I can use that may do
it. The coats are heavy, granted but i would have thought the heavy
duty anchors would have sufficed. Its PB on both sides so no solid
wall to attach to. Also with under the stais being sloped I cannot
fix into the batton behind, would gripfill do? Any ideas folks?

Ideally screwing into a stud rather than the PB. Another solution if
that is not possible is using a batten on the wall behind the hooks to
spread the load and if possible allow attachment to a stud that way.
You can even in extremis cut out a section of PB and replace with
half inch ply. That will take a much better screwed fixing. It would
probably need skimming to finish though.

Also I need to repair some PB that has largish holes in, as in the
size of your hand holes. They havent gone all the way through, some
are dented plasterboard some holes. I am currently using Polyfiller
but with the ammount I need it will be expensive to do it with this.
What else can I use?

Board fill is cheaper and sands easily - that will deal with the
dents. For the holes, cut a patch piece larger than the hole and draw
round it. Cut away the edges of the broken section of wall leaving a
patch sized hole. The traditional way to hold the patch in place is
with a batten or two inserted into the wall and screwed to the back
surface of the PB via drywall screws through the front. The new bit
can in turn be screwed to the batten.

A more modern version is the "Bear claw" drywall clip. These fit on
the edge of the patch and allow you to simply push it into the hole,
where they then grip the edge of the hole. They have the advantage of
allowing you to use 1/2" PB to fix any hole regardless of the actual
thickness of board used on the wall.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=110041203119

Never seen them before, but if the patch is flush with the existing PB you
have the clips protruding on the face of both - how can you caver them up?

"The clip is made of 0.38mm (0.015") thick metal (about the thickness of a
corner bead), so it is easy to cover with joint compound. "

I don't think so.....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk