Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default CFLs and UHF interference

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
... so since our communal aerial went phut, I've been messing about with
aerial positioning to get the best signal (we're in a valley) and cursing
Mr Plod as tetra-type interference pops up on the screen every evening.
Today I was trying to work out what was wrong with my son's computer, and
suddenly SWMBO calls up that the interference has just come on - did you
just turn anything on?

We had.

The landing light.

It appears the OSRAM CFL is shoving out significant quantities of
broadband RF!

Never heard of a tungsten filament doing that...

Andy

But then a tungsten filament lamp hasn't got a fundamentally dirty
switchmode power supply made from the crappiest 'just about adequate when
new' components, jammed into an unventilated base enclosure, guaranteed to
fry the main filter cap ...

Go take a look at

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/lamp/en_index.html

for an interesting insight into these hateful pieces of eco-crap.

Arfa