Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default Condo invaded by wharf borer beetles

You should not need to tear up the house to find the moist spots. A good
home inspector with an infrared camera and handheld moisture meter can find
most if not all the spots for you. It dosen't sound as though you are aware
of any, just worried it could be wet. Follow the common sense advice of the
other posters and you should be in good shape.

Most bugs need a path between the ground and the wood, eliminate that path
and most bugs stay out.

Outside, use pressure treated lumber and anything in place that is not
painted treat it with an insecticidal preservative like Jasco Termin-8 (same
as pressure treatment).

A competent exterminator when aware of the species he is killing should be
successful in treating the home. The generic pesticide they tried last year
may have been used without consideration of what bug they were after.

wrote in message
These are the invaders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharf_borer

I noticed these bugs last year around may so we had someone come out
and spray the units and building. It helped a little but they are back
this year. Turns out that pesticides are not the solution. At first I
thought they were just harmless insects but it turns out these guys
burrow into moist wood and lay their eggs. That is also why i'm
posting in this group because i believe this is going to involve some
repairing. I guess what i am trying to get at is how do we find these
guys? Do i have to start tearing apart drywall and flooring till i
find some moist / damp wood? Should i check around piping areas where
leaks could be present and causing moisture in the wood framing? By
the way the condo building is only 3 years old and is all brick on the
outside. Any tips on how i can resolve this problem will be most
appreciated.

Regards,
Sapo