Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Sharp LL- T17A4-B lcd Monitor

Bought from the 'E' place for cheap. Reported symptom: video comes on
and fades out. Figured it was high ESR smps caps.

Actual symptom: backlight comes on, image consist of random horizontal
lines, which eventually--after some intermittent vertical
scrolling--settle into a very nice image. Takes like two minutes to
warm up. Shutting the monitor down for some unknown time starts the
process all over again. Continuous viewing yields a stable image with
good resolution, brightness and linearity. Shutting down for short
periods is not problematic.

There is only one HV (100 @ 400v) cap in the ps. ESR is .46, which I
assume is within tolerance. Other caps in the ps also seem fine.

This presents so like a classic cap issue (needs to warm up), that I'm
going to next pull the video board and check caps there...possibly get
some freeze spray and see if I can duplicate symptoms that way.

Reality check: any problem with the above procedure, or experience with
this particular monitor? Any suggestions as to where to go if the above
doesn't produce a dx and fix?

Thanks as always,

jak