Posted to alt.home.repair
franz fripplfrappl franz fripplfrappl is offline

Default Condo invaded by wharf borer beetles

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:23:21 -0700, tainocoqui wrote:

These are the invaders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharf_borer

I noticed these bugs last year around may so we had someone come out and
spray the units and building. It helped a little but they are back this
year. Turns out that pesticides are not the solution. At first I thought
they were just harmless insects but it turns out these guys burrow into
moist wood and lay their eggs. That is also why i'm posting in this
group because i believe this is going to involve some repairing. I guess
what i am trying to get at is how do we find these guys? Do i have to
start tearing apart drywall and flooring till i find some moist / damp
wood? Should i check around piping areas where leaks could be present
and causing moisture in the wood framing? By the way the condo building
is only 3 years old and is all brick on the outside. Any tips on how i
can resolve this problem will be most appreciated.

Regards,
Sapo

Insects have minimal goals in life: food, shelter, reproduction. Take
away the food and shelter and they should disappear.

Remove any organic material or wet/rotten wood and dry things out a bit
and you may find that you have destroyed habitat. Keep it that way and
they should go away.

Meanwhile, you can easily obtain permethrin pesticides at any garden or
home improvement center.

Clean up and spray perimeter of building inside and out.

Franz Fripplfrappl