Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tainocoqui@gmail.com is offline

Default Condo invaded by wharf borer beetles

These are the invaders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharf_borer

I noticed these bugs last year around may so we had someone come out
and spray the units and building. It helped a little but they are back
this year. Turns out that pesticides are not the solution. At first I
thought they were just harmless insects but it turns out these guys
burrow into moist wood and lay their eggs. That is also why i'm
posting in this group because i believe this is going to involve some
repairing. I guess what i am trying to get at is how do we find these
guys? Do i have to start tearing apart drywall and flooring till i
find some moist / damp wood? Should i check around piping areas where
leaks could be present and causing moisture in the wood framing? By
the way the condo building is only 3 years old and is all brick on the
outside. Any tips on how i can resolve this problem will be most
appreciated.

Regards,
Sapo