Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default DWV pipe through studs

On 2008-06-12, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in
the process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6"
wall or do I need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate
the pipe.

If the walls are not load bearing, then you can bore a hole up to 60%
of the stud depth, which is 3.3" for a 2x6, plenty for 2" DWV.

If a wall is load bearing, then you are restricted to 40%, which is
2.2" for a 2x6, not quite enough for 2" plastic DWV (but OK for 2"
copper DWV). However, you can bore a load bearing stud up to 60% if
you double the stud, although not for more than two consecutive studs.

Cheers, Wayne