Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Soft wood question

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:11:32 -0500, "JD"
wrote:

Hey folks, been a while since I've had an opportunity to come by and check
in. Been kinda hectic around here with the dissertation in full swing and
just returning from a trip to see the outlaws in Germany. Which leads me to
a quesion, I brought back some birch from Germany and a piece of beech from
a wood pile where we stayed. The beech turned beautifully. The birch on the
other hand, not so well. The wood seemed to be soft, almost rotted, but
still quite solid. The tree was supposedly cut this spring. Since I've no
experience with birch, I was wandering if it is the nature of this wood to
rot rather quickly, or is it just that darn soft. Either way, anyone have
any suggestions for what I should do. I hate to toss it aside, it come from
my mother-in-laws garden and I figured to return to her a bowl from her
tree. Is there anything that can be put onto the wood that might harden it?

Thanks in advance,

JD (Kentucky)

Personally, I'd probably toss it. Some penetrating oils (like Watco
Danish oil) will harden wood, but it is not intended to be a fix.